Spring Cleansing while Breastfeeding
Diet – Because you are eating for two it is important to get an adequate amount of food. Please make adjustments to the cleanse protocol to ensure that you are getting adequate fat and protein. You may want to use a protein powder that doesn’t have sweeteners or eat lean meat like chicken or turkey during the cleanse to ensure that you are receiving adequate nutrition.
· During the cleanse we are striving for 3 meals a day in order to allow our bodies to become more efficient at utilizing the nutrition in food. You may have to eat 4 meals a day, but focus on making the time for actual meals and not snacking during the day. Snacking is like cooking a pot of rice halfway and then adding more rice and water to the pot. When we add the extra rice in the middle of the cooking process neither batch of rice cooks efficiently and we end up with a starchy mess.
· Preparation phase – You can follow the protocol for eating beets, berries, green smoothies, and apples during this time. You may want to start with a lower amount than is recommended and see how the inclusion of these foods affects you. It is likely that as you decongest the lymphatics and bile that your body will become more efficient. This stage is used to optimize the function of the body and not to remove toxins so it is very safe for breastfeeding.
· Pre – Cleanse phase – This phase will be very different for you. I would not recommend taking the ghee by itself in the morning. As this is the stage where we start to extract toxins from the fat cells and bring them into the digestive tract to be eliminated it would not be appropriate for you to bring those toxins into circulation while you are breastfeeding. Instead you can incorporate some ghee into your breakfast or later meals. Your dosage of daily ghee does not need to exceed 2 tablespoons. As ghee is a very clean fat source intend on limiting other sources of fat during this time. This will NOT be a no fat diet like is recommended but your intake of other fats besides ghee will be limited.
· Main Cleanse – During this phase we are eating Kichari. I would recommend using option 4 which allows you the greatest flexibility in your food choices. This means Kichari can be combined with just about anything including lean meat and protein powder. Have the base of most of your meals be Kichari but feel free to incorporate any other foods into the Kichari recipe so that you feel satisfied
· Post Cleanse – This is where we transition out of the cleansing process. Choose foods and recipes that you believe will stay with you for the long term.
Lifestyle – All of the lifestyle recommendations as they are presented on page 8 and 9 of the manual will be very beneficial and support for your long term health. Follow the guidelines for healthy living and the general home detoxification guidelines minus the herbal recommendations. Establishing a healthy daily routine will have a lot of benefits for you.
Please feel free to email me if you have any concerns or questions as we go through the process.
© 2010-17 Rhythm of Healing
Oakland, CA| Durango, CO | Ashland, OR